Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Do you know where your food comes from???

Today Garrett and I went to this little market off 138 that I've been wanting to go to....

http://www.marketconyers.com/

This is a picture off their website.
It is a new organic grocery store in Conyers. I really liked it. I like knowing where my food comes from. They take produce from local farmers (which I really like) and they also bring in fresh produce everyday from the Forsyth Farmers Market. Everything is organic, and they really have a pretty good selection. I went there today right before they brought in the day's produce so I may have missed some really good stuff. If you like organic, or would just like to support the local economy, you should drop in!!! The people are really nice. They also have some organic boxed groceries and organic jellies.

Now maybe you're saying "Oh, Lord, it's one of those tree huggers that think the polar ice caps are going to melt and flood the whole Earth." Well, good news, God said He wouldn't flood the whole earth again, so that theory is out. And I am quite far from a tree hugger. Actually I'm sure the tree huggers probably don't like me since I kill anything green that I am put in charge of taking care of......including the mums I won at the skin care work shop. (I told you you should have taken those Jen.) You don't have to be a die hard environmentalist to agree that we should take care of the earth God gave us. Anyway, about a year ago, I did some research after reading this HORRIBLE article about the way our beef is handled in America.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1200759,00.html

So after reading this article I did more research and discussed all of my findings with Brad. I seriously thought he was going to have me committed when I started. But after showing him the research I'd done he agreed with me and we began our journey to healthier eating. A lot of people I've discussed organic, all natural eating with think I'm crazy. And in truth....they're probably right. I had four kids by the time I was twenty three. I work part-time, at night and then come home to take care of my kids, instead of putting them in daycare. So yes, crazy is probably a big part of my life. But this isn't crazy to me. It's not a political issue, it's "What do I think is best for my family." Now don't get me wrong, it is a lot of work. We eat grass-fed beef. To get that, we have to go to Whole Foods about 45 minutes away. Or to our favorite farmer www.naturesharmonyfarm.com 2 hours away. But it is important to us to provide our kids with hormone-, antibiotic-free meat. And if we can get it from a local, sustainable farm all the better!! You don't have to be a member of PETA, I'm not an animal rights activist, but I do believe that a certain level of common sense is expected in this area. Feeding animals a diet that goes against what their body was made for, to the point of it causing them to develop sepsis from the stomach ulcers they develop and then pumping them full of antibiotics to keep them alive long enough to slaughter them just sounds wrong to me. And even if you don't care about the animals, think about the meat you're eating. The meat you eat reflects how the animal was treated. Of course, this is an extreme, and just because someone doesn't sell their meat to Whole foods, doesn't mean that they treat their cattle like this, but I need reassurances. In addition, grass fed beef is healthier. It has lower fat, higher Omega 3's and several other benefits mentioned in the article above. Now do I ever eat non-grassfed beef....yes. Unfortunately, we cannot afford to always buy organic foods and grass fed beef. However, we also did some research on that and put our grocery list in order of priority. Meat is our top priority. We buy as much as we can of grass-fed beef, free foraging pork , free range chicken. Then we move onto fruits and vegetables. Prevention had an awesome article on how to prioritize buying organic.

How to be a budget organic
What's worth the extra cost, what's not, and how to save in other ways

http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/how-to-be-a-budget-organic/00bd82fb07f7b110VgnVCM10000013281eac____/nutrition.recipes/grocery.guru

We buy the fruits and vegetables that we eat the most, that contain the highest level of pesticides, organic. Then the rest we just buy regular.

We just started buying organic milk. Actually organic milk costs about $6/gal so I buy it when I can. My friend April just turned me onto Publix brand milk. Publix recently made a commitment not to buy milk from farmers who fed their cows rBGH, a growth hormone. It has been linked to cancer. Now there is some controversy as to whether or not rBGH causes adverse effects like higher infection rate, but I mean really......if you don't have to use it.....why use it. Anyway, when Publix made this commitment, the majority of farmers in Florida stopped giving their cows the hormone!! That is powerful people. It just proves that if we won't buy certain products, eventually it will make a difference!!!

I don't eat as much organic as I'd like. Mostly because I can't afford it, but also partly because I do like to eat junk food.....sorry, but it's true. And some people don't really care about where their food comes from, that's cool. Whatever works for you. But, if you're curious, do some research decide for yourself. I'll tell you what, Brad actually gets sick now when he eats hamburgers from fast food restaurant. I warn him....everytime....and everytime....he gets sick. I guess we've just gotten used to the grassfed beef we eat. We eat pretty much all grassfed beef except, occasionally Brad will buy and butcher a beef tenderloin *yummy*. Or if we go to a friend's house and beef is on the menu. We can't always buy free range chicken. For one, it usually only comes as a whole chicken, and I don't always want to fix a whole chicken. Pork we also try to buy free foraging pork...except of course for Brad's amazing pork butt bbq. An organic, all naturally raised pork butt like that would probably cost us $50.

Check out this blog also... www.naturesharmonyfarm.com





These people are awesome!!! I bought meat from them one time and it was most definitely the best meat I have ever eaten!!!!! Unfortunately for me I'm not the only one who thinks so, so I'm on the waiting list to join their meat CSA. (Hopefully soon!!) They do beef, pork, duck, lamb, turkey, and chicken. And they also explain everything so much better than I ever could!!!!

So anyway, I hope all of that made sense, I'm a terrible writer!!! I mostly sound like I'm rambling!!! I actually started this blog on Wednesday, but this week has been so busy that I'm just getting around to finishing it while my mom studies for CPR class tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment